Sunday, July 20, 2008

Moon

The moon sent me some nasty emails saying that, while the sunset pictures were very nice, it wanted some equal time. So, we set up a time on Friday night, got together & here's the result:

I was messing with the settings on the camera to see what I'd get. This first one came out with an unexpected, star-like halo. The little pinpoint of light to the right is Jupiter making a guest appearance:


The moon doing its "sun" impersonation, with Jupiter, again:


This next one looks better as a small picture; is severely blown out when you view it full-sized. It's Jupiter again &, if you look closely, you can see its moons. When I focused the camera, I could get a clear shot; as soon as I pressed the trigger, though, it got all wonky. I still think it's pretty good for a camera with a standard lens to pick up another planet's moons. Maybe someday I'll get a good telephoto attachment or some kind of set up to connect the camera to my telescope. Anyway, it's included here, warts & all:


Last but not least, the guest of honor:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey this is a third entry! Wowzer :)

and damn venus for trying to sneak in on the moons action. ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.....

Robolly said...

Nice pics! What kind of camera do you use?

Whenever I've tried to take pics of the moon, my results have been unsatisfactory, your's look good.

Rob

Jay said...

Hi Rob -
Thanks for stopping by.

I have a Canon S5IS with just the standard lens that came on it. It took some doing, but I found that the trick is to set the camera on a tripod & set the timer for 2-10 seconds; that way, any jiggling from me pushing the trigger has subsided & the pic is clear.

Robolly said...

Oh, interesting -- I'll have to try that tripod moon thing -- I usually use a Canon Powershot A570 (I've taken over 10,000 pics with it in the last 12 months). I've been taking a lot of pics from the commuter train here in Chicago, and the windows are tinted, so I take those pics in B&W mode usually.

I also have two Pentax DSLRs, a K110d and a K20d (which I just got a couple of weeks ago).

I do post some of the pics on my blog (meanderbox.blogspot.com - hey, we're blog neighbors!) along with cartoons and silly words. I've decided that for at least a year, I'll try to post something every single day.

Rob